Navigator
Sub Menu
Links Menu
Online Users

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest

Most users ever online was 46 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 pm

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 5 minutes

Last Online
In order to view the online list you have to be registered and logged in.

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register

Search

The Lifespan of Consumer Electronics

For discussion of all home theatre hardware, ranging from DVD players to HD TVs. All discussion of home theatre hardware and any other digital equipment goes in this area.

Moderator: Marty McFly

The Lifespan of Consumer Electronics

PostAuthor: Marty McFly » Mon May 19, 2014 9:47 pm

This is intended as an open discussion of the life span of the various electronic items that fill our lives.

Let's start with a question, when you buy an electronic item, how long do you expect it to (realistically) last?
"When collecting movies, it is best to attune yourself to the different moods you want to satisfy. It is also good, so long as your wallet can stand it, to trust your instincts. If you have an unaccountable desire to purchase a title, your subconscious is trying to tell you something." - Doug Pratt, The Laser Video Disc Companion

My Flickr Stream - The DVDs & BDs I've purchased in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010,
2011, 2012, 2013, 2014...
Marty McFly
Owner

Re: The Lifespan of Consumer Electronics

PostAuthor: Phoebe » Wed May 21, 2014 7:35 pm

I think it does depend on the item, for instance my laptops only seem to last 3-4 years at a time, televisions I would expect to last for about 10-15 years and mobile phones can be about 5-8 years (Yes really, I think I've only had 2 or 3 mobile phones in my entire life). I don't really update my electronic items often unless I start to experience an issue with what I currently own. I always EXPECT electronic items to last a long time but they probably don't always reach their full life span because of technological advancements, which I might buy into!
Phoebe
TV and Music Moderator

Return to H/T Gear & General Tech